Friday, September 27, 2019

Never good at lisp

Back in the day when I was learning lisp, I would have a hard time understanding constructs that were just too nested.  I would see things like:

something(somethingelse(trythis(internalpart(updateothers(runstuff)))))

I can see a similar thing happening sometimes with Python where it's easy to keep wrapping object calls together and you end up with hard to decipher code:

something(parameter).object(otherthing(innerpart).state(optionalrewind))

There are some people who talk in similar ways at work and use parenthetical sub clauses before getting to the actual point and I have a hard time following what the actual point is:
We need to figure out, and not necessarily now, but at some point in the near future perhaps when we can get a consensus or when the time is right but not just because we want to be opportunistic agnostic, what, or perhaps even first why or maybe the rationale behind this and related activities that you and according to at least a couple of other people although this is just third party because I haven't heard directly from them but I have been able to glean by reading between the lines of interactions, our next steps should be.

Parsing that out, the real meat of the sentence is (in bold):
We need to figure out, and not necessarily now, but at some point in the near future perhaps when we can get a consensus or when the time is right but not just because we want to be opportunistic agnostic, what, or perhaps even first why or maybe the rationale behind this and related activities that you and according to at least a couple of other people although this is just third party because I haven't heard directly from them but I have been able to glean by reading between the lines of interactions, our next steps should be.

I think as a consumer or target of the conversation I would like to hear the bold part first and can then get the rest of the sentence after.  Or perhaps the rest of the sentence is background and I should get that first.  But I have a heck of a time trying to keep the idea in my head when it's at the beginning, middle, and end, of a bunch of parenthetical remarks.

My point of this whole post (irony, I'm only getting to it now), is that I have a heck of a time reading and understanding news headlines that seem to string together everything into one sentence

[something...] according to police reports via court order leaked by the assistant to the then deputy director who had been allegedly deposed by the now acting associate vice president under executive approval as reported to news personnel by an anonymous tip said the ex chief after hearing reports of this on Thursday from his staff.

What is there some sort of rationing on periods and capital letters that we could not break this up in to digestible sentences?

No comments: