Friday, June 22, 2012

Taking out the trash

So I have one of these little Creative Vado digital cameras.  I've been using it for a couple of years now, and I've noticed that recently the recording time seems to be getting less and less.  It's flash based memory so I figured it was something to do with the memory being reused and unusable after time.  I figured it was time to buy a newer one, something that had a bit more record time.

On a whim I decided to poke around the filesystem using the shell to see where the space was being used.  Surprise - the Mac had created a .Trashes folder and was happily squirreling away all the deleted videos.  DOH!  About 7.6G of space.  Double DOH!  Frustrating because this trash doesn't show up in the finder when I just browse the device.  Would be nice if I had the option in the finder to disable keeping trash on certain devices.

I manually did a rm -rf on .Trashes and my record time went from 9 minutes (!) to 2 hours and 11 minutes.  Schweet!

No comments: